I’ve discovered that I really, really, really dislike mudding by myself. One is the loneliest number that you’ll ever do.

I slapped joint compound all over the walls of the master bedroom today in what was perhaps one of the least fun experiences I’ve had in some time. Yes, that includes throwing out my back.

In short, I really detest the process of mudding because (1) I’m slow at it, (2) I don’t have enough knowledge to know if I’m doing it right, but I certainly know I’m doing some of it poorly, (3) it’s a goopy mess of job, (4) it’s really no fun in 90 degree weather, (5) it only takes a few hours of that and my back starts nagging me for Flexeril, and (6) it’s a task that is easy to screw-up (which is my way of saying I did plenty of that).

I started around 9 AM and after I worked the morning solo, Erin joined me in the early afternoon when Jonah went down for a nap. These things go much faster with two people. She knows less about mudding than I do, but thank God for her assistance. I’d still be in the room working otherwise.

The good news is that the hardest part is over. Dennis is here to help with round 2 on Saturday, and that should go much faster than the initial coat. I’ve got Dave Morrison coming on Monday to assist with the final mudding layer.

I’ll still be well shy of having the rooms finished by the arrival of the Lillys next Thursday, but joint compound only dries so fast (even in 90 degree heat), and I’ve done what I can do. I’ll be looking at texturing next; maybe Bernard can be coaxed into lending a hand here like last time. (The fabulous texturing on the walls in Jonah’s room is his handiwork.)

The bigger problem, and the reason I’ve been somewhat despondent, is that even with texturing completed by, say, July 1, that still leaves painting, trim, electrical, closet doors and closet organizers to take care of. That’s a lot of work, and every day I’m doing that—and hopefully doing it better than I did the mudding today—is a day I’m not working on getting my album put together.

When Erin heads back to school in the fall, I resume my station as full-time daycare Dad. In other words, I only have July and August to work on music. I’m now looking at integrating some major pieces into the music studio, writing a few songs, recording or re-recording every song, mixing the thing, completing artwork and lyrics sheets, setting up CD production, and figuring out marketing/distribution/sales in less than 60 days. Considering I also have a 1 year old and I run my own business (which is going very well), my depression in this matter becomes maybe a little more understandable.

Maybe I’ll get good karma points just for trying.